Sunday, March 7, 2010

Preparations

We're less than one week away from leaving for our trip to the Dominican Republic.  16 high school students and 4 adults going on a mission to a country we have never seen.  I guess this one is a bit of a leap of faith.  When I led the first group of high school youth to Mexico eight years ago, I had been there previously with a group of adults so it was familiar territory.  Nothing familiar this time except we have American missionaries there to arrange things for us.

As far as we know, we will be building a wall of cement blocks around the church camp where we will be staying.  We know it is a rural area and not much more.  So we've tried to prepare our team using all the information and suggestions gathered - anti-malarial meds are in hand, typhoid shots and tetanus shots up to date, and we are stocking up on insect repellent. 

My sofa is covered with all the 'stuff' gathered to pack for the trip yet I know somehow I will get there on Saturday without something I should have packed.  The good news is that it really won't matter - I'll get by.  My most urgent prayer is for safety for the group and that God will give me and Adam, Sarah and Mike, the strength and patience we need and the right words all the time regardless of what happens.

Look out Bani - the Living Word youth group will be there soon!

No comments: